Welcome to the Camden Opera House!
This grand building is a somewhat unexpected surprise to many that walk off the streets of bustling downtown Camden and find themselves in the halls of an exquisitely renovated Victorian opera house. Grand chandeliers, a lovely horseshoe balcony, antique moldings, detailed painterly restoration of friezes and beautifully replicated gilt stenciling are what you will experience. In addition, our 500-seat auditorium along with three lovely and diverse meeting/function rooms, strives to offer up-to-date technological resources to every user. See our Online Events Calendar for a schedule of upcoming performances.
If you are interested in learning more about the history of this grand building, go to History. If you’d like rental information for your organization please click the Renting the Opera House section for our rates, room sizes, etc. And of course if you have any questions or comments or wish to be added to our mailing list to learn of upcoming Opera House events, click on Contact Us.
The Camden Opera House is a 499-seat auditorium and related facilities owned, operated and financially supported by the Town of Camden. The Opera House provides the venue for a wide variety of concerts, performances, conferences and events.
Built in 1894, the Camden Opera House was once the tallest building in Knox County. The massive building was also home to several businesses and a businessman’s club. Camden’s first town meeting was held here in 1895.
For most events, you should have several options for purchasing tickets, which may include local outlets, a “Buy Tickets” button directly from our website, or by phone at (207) 470-7066 and/or our on-site Box Office the day or night of the event.
Our thanks to you. The Opera House is certainly a beautiful venue, and we are lucky to have it in the midcoast area. I appreciate how much the restorations have improved the facility, not only in architectural detail, but in patron comfort!
— Paula Schuessler, Ocean Energy
- The Opera House is located on Route 1 (29 Elm St.), in the center of town in Camden, Maine
- Capacity: Seats 495 people with additional seating for 2 in each of the four loge boxes.
- 187 seats are in the balcony; 308 are at orchestra level.
- Hosts a wide variety of uses including theatre, concerts, film, dance performances, weddings and business conferences.
- The Camden Opera House is currently primarily a rental facility – that is we do not produce many of the events that are held here. Due to this, many presenters sell their tickets via separate means.
- You can plan your wedding in our historic, elegant rooms in the middle of downtown Camden overlooking the harbor and park.